What’s in the new ceasefire agreement proposed by Israel?

What’s in the new ceasefire agreement proposed by Israel?

Key points
  • US President Joe Biden has outlined a three-phase ceasefire agreement proposed by Israel to end its war in Gaza.
  • It includes the withdrawal of the Israeli army from Gaza and the release of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners.
  • Hamas responded positively to the proposal and said it was willing to engage “constructively.”
US President Joe Biden has presented what he described as a three-phase Israeli proposal for a ceasefire in Gaza in exchange for the release of Israeli hostages, saying “it is time for this war to end” and getting a positive initial reaction from Hamas.
The offer calls for a ceasefire, the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, the release of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners and the reconstruction of Gaza, among other things.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said Friday it supported the plan.

“It’s time for this war to end and for it to begin the day after,” said Biden, who is under pressure in an election year to stop the Gaza conflict, now in its eighth month.

What does Israel’s new ceasefire proposal include?

First phase: Biden said the first phase of the proposed deal would last six weeks. It would include a “total and complete ceasefire” and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the “populated areas” of Gaza.
The first phase would also include the release of some hostages taken by Hamas in its Oct. 7 attack on Israel, including women, the elderly and the wounded, and the return of some hostage remains.
This would come in exchange for the release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. Palestinian civilians would return and 600 trucks a day would bring humanitarian aid to the enclave.
Second stage: The second phase would include a “permanent cessation of hostilities.” All remaining live hostages taken by Hamas would be released, including male soldiers, and Israeli forces would withdraw from Gaza.

Third phase: The third and final phase of the proposed deal calls for the start of a major reconstruction of Gaza, which faces decades of rebuilding after the devastation caused by the war.

Joe Biden speaking into a microphone at a lectern.  Behind him is a white wall with an American flag.

US President Joe Biden outlined the proposal. Fountain: AAP / Michael Reynolds/Sipa USA

How has Hamas responded?

Hamas has issued a statement reacting positively to Biden’s proposal.

The group said it was willing to engage “positively and constructively” with any proposal based on a permanent ceasefire, the withdrawal of Israeli forces, the reconstruction of Gaza, the return of displaced people and a “genuine” agreement on prisoner exchange if Israel “clearly announces its commitment to such an agreement.”

What happened to the ceasefire proposal earlier this year?

A called for the release of sick, elderly and wounded hostages in the Gaza Strip in exchange for a six-week ceasefire that could be extended to allow more humanitarian aid to reach the enclave.
The proposed deal collapsed earlier this month after Israel refused to accept a permanent end to the war as part of the negotiations and in southern Gaza.

Hamas said Thursday that it had told mediators it would not participate in further negotiations during the ongoing aggression, but was ready for a “comprehensive agreement,” including an exchange of hostages and prisoners if Israel stopped the war.

Talks brokered by Egypt, Qatar and others to agree a ceasefire between Israel and the Islamist movement in the Gaza war have repeatedly stalled, with both sides blaming the other for a lack of progress.

Israel will not accept any cessation of fighting that is not part of an agreement that includes the return of surviving hostages, a senior Israeli security official said on Friday.

Israel presses towards southern Gaza

Israeli forces said they had ended combat operations in the Jabalia area of ‚Äč‚Äčnorthern Gaza after more than two weeks of In the area.

The Israeli military said the troops had completed their operation and had withdrawn to prepare for further operations in Gaza.

Israel has continued its attacks on Rafah, in southern Gaza, despite an order from the International Court of Justice, the UN’s highest court, to stop the attacks.
According to authorities, more than 36,280 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel attacked the enclave in response to Hamas’s Oct. 7 assault on southern Israel.

The Hamas attack killed about 1,200 people and 250 people were taken hostage, according to Israeli counts.