Police withdraw warrant against Yvonne Nelson and others

Police withdraw warrant against Yvonne Nelson and others

The Greater Accra Regional Command of the Ghana Police Service has withdrawn its application seeking to ban the holding of the ‘#DumsorMustStop’ rally.

The withdrawal of the request, according to EIB Network Legal Affairs Correspondent, Murtala Inusah, was due to the organizers agreeing to vary their initial route for the protest.

The action filed on May 20 comes after the Accra Region Police Command urged organizers to consider relocating the planned protest site.

In court on Friday, May 24, 2024, Justice Lydia Osei Marfo said, the applicants (Ghana Police Service) wrote to the court to withdraw their application m.

Consequently, Judge Marfo said: “The application is declared dismissed.”

The police had previously urged them to adjust the time of the protest, set for Saturday, May 25, 2024.

But their request to the organizers was rejected, prompting police to file a motion asking the court to order the organizers to stop the event entirely.

“Please note that this Honorable Court will be moved by an attorney representing the Applicant who requests this Honorable Court for an order prohibiting the respondents from carrying out a picket scheduled for May 25, 2024 in the Plaza de la Revolución, by the reasons contained in the attached affidavit and for additional orders) that this Honorable Court deems appropriate,” indicated the action filed on May 20, 2024.

But the action was withdrawn and the same crossed out.

The case was titled “Inspector General of Police v. Yvonne Nelson, Selorm Dramani Dzramado and Henry Osei Akoto.”

The police (the plaintiffs) were represented in court by Chief Inspector Jonas Laweh while the defendants were absent.

There was no legal representation when the case was filed.


Actress Yvonne Nelson, who previously organized a similar protest in 2015, maintains that the intermittent power cuts, known locally as ‘dumsor’, are negatively affecting her business.

She and her team met with the Ghana Police Service to notify them of the planned protest.

However, police objected to the proposed protest route after a meeting, particularly the planned endpoint at Revolution Square.

Police argue that its proximity to Jubilee House, a designated security zone and the time the protest was due to end around midnight.